Replacing the HEPA Filters
If equipped, Tesla recommends replacing the HEPA filters every 3 years (every year in China).
- Open the hood.
- Remove the vehicle's underhood apron by inserting a small, non-marring flat tool or your fingers underneath the panel. Pull up to loosen the clips and set the underhood apron aside.
- Using a 10mm socket, remove the bolt that attaches the washer fluid reservoir neck to the underhood storage unit.
- Remove the washer tank neck from the
vehicle. If the windshield washer reservoir is full, some washer fluid may leak
out.NoteYou do not need to remove the hose from the neck.
- With a 10mm socket, remove the bolts (x2) that attach the HEPA filter assembly to the vehicle.
- Carefully remove the HEPA filter assembly from the vehicle by tilting the rear edge of the filter assembly up past the brake fluid reservoir and lifting the filter assembly out of the vehicle, taking car not to bump into or damage other components.
- With a Torx T20 screwdriver, remove the screws (x10) that attach the HEPA filter cover to the HEPA filter assembly, then remove the cover from the assembly.
- Remove the old carbon filters from the filter housing.
- Remove the old HEPA filters from the HEPA filter housing by carefully prying the rubber gasket to release the filter along the gasket.
- Place the new HEPA filters into the HEPA filter assembly. Flex the housing outward to make sure the seal is fully seated around the filters.
- Place new carbon filters into the filter assembly, with the arrows on the filters pointing toward you.
- Use a Torx T20 screwdriver to
reinstall the screws (x10) that attach the HEPA filter cover to the HEPA filter
assembly. Torque to 1.6 Nm (1.2 ft-lb). CAUTIONTake care not to over-torque the screws. Doing so may cause damage.
- Maneuver the HEPA filter assembly into place, taking care not to bump into or damage other components.
- With a 10mm socket, tighten the bolts (x2). Torque them to 10 Nm (7.4 ft-lb).
- Make sure the O-ring on the washer tank neck is fully seated, and then install the washer tank neck by inserting it into the washer tank.
- Route the hose so that it is secured by the tabs (x3) that connect it to the washer tank neck.
- Install the push clip[ attaches the washer fluid reservoir neck to the underhood storage unit.
- Replace the underhood apron by aligning the clips into their openings in the front trunk. Press down to lock them in place. The clips make an audible clicking sound when secured.
- Close the hood.