Replacing Cabin Filters
Model Y has air filters that prevent pollen, industrial fallout, road dust, and other particles from entering the cabin through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing these filters every 2 years (every year in China). Cabin filters can be purchased at the Tesla Shop (or https://shop.tesla.cn/ for China).
To replace the cabin filters:
- Turn off the climate control system.
- Move the front passenger seat fully rearwards and remove the front passenger floor mat.
- Use a clip pry tool to carefully release the push clips that secure the front passenger footwell cover to the instrument panel. Then, while supporting the footwell cover, disconnect the two electrical connectors and move the footwell cover aside.
CAUTIONTo avoid damage, do not pull on the wires when disconnecting the connectors. When disconnecting the connectors, make sure to pull from the plastic on the connectors themselves.
- For the light, carefully press down on the tab while releasing the connector.
- For the speaker, carefully angle the vehicle-side connector so that the small tab releases from the hole in the footwell cover-side connector while releasing the connector.
- Working from top-to-bottom, use a trim tool to carefully release the right side panel from the center console.
- Remove the 6 mm screw that secures the cabin filter cover to the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) module, then release the cabin filter cover and move it aside. On some vehicles, tabs replace the 6 mm screw: use your index finger and thumb to squeeze the two tabs at the bottom of the cabin filter cover. Tilt the cover outward to remove.
- Fold the upper cabin filter’s pull tabs outward.
- Holding the tabs on the upper cabin filter, pull the upper filter out from the HVAC module.
- Holding the upper tab on the lower cabin filter, pull the lower filter upwards and then out from the HVAC module.
- Ensuring that the arrows on both new filters face towards the rear of the vehicle, insert the lower cabin filter into the HVAC module and lower it into place. Then, insert the upper cabin filter above it.
- Fold the tabs inward so that the cabin filter cover can be installed.
- Install the cabin filter cover by engaging the lower cover tab then securing the 6 mm screw. Tighten the screw to 1.2 Nm/0.89 ft-lbs. On vehicles with tabs instead of a 6 mm screw: maneuver the top notch of the cabin filter cover into place, then secure the tabs at the bottom of the HVAC module.
- Reconnect the two electrical connectors to the components in the front passenger footwell cover, then resecure the cover with the push clips.
- Align the right side panel with the front and rear locator slots on the center console, then apply pressure until all of the clips are fully secure.
- Reinstall the front passenger floor mat then move the front passenger seat back into place.