Opening Hood with No Power
In the unlikely event that Model X has no low voltage power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen , key fob, or mobile app. To open the front trunk in this situation:
The following steps do not open the front trunk if Model X is locked and has low voltage power.
- Locate an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter).
- To remove the tow eye cover, insert a small, flat screwdriver into the top and bottom slots, release the snaps and pull the cover towards you.
- Pull the two wires out of the tow eye opening to expose both terminals.
- Connect the low voltage power supply's red positive (+) cable to the red positive (+) terminal.
- Connect the low
voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable
to the black negative (-) terminal.NoteApplying external low voltage power to these terminals only releases the hood latches. You cannot charge the low voltage battery using these terminals.
- Turn on the external power supply (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). The hood latches are immediately released and you can now open the hood to access the front trunk area.
- Disconnect both cables, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
- If pulling the vehicle onto a flatbed truck, do not replace the tow eye cover yet. If necessary, install the tow eye cover by inserting the wires into the tow eye opening and aligning the tow eye cover into position and snapping it into place.