Connecting and Disconnecting Tow Hitch (Europe)
Connecting the Tow Hitch
The Model Y towing package includes a weight-carrying hitch with a 50 mm ball coupling. When not in use, the hitch should be removed and stored in a dry location to prevent rust and corrosion. Keep the dust cover over the hitch housing to prevent dirt and debris from entering.
The trailer hitch assembly is attached to the body of the vehicle with 6 bolts.
The maximum permissible rear overhang for the coupling point is 1064 mm.
Always attach safety chains when towing. Cross the chains under the trailer tongue and attach to the trailer eyelets to ensure the security of the trailer load.
You must use the Model Y trailer hitch when towing a trailer. Never attempt to attach a different type of trailer hitch.
To install the trailer hitch:
- Use a thin object, such as a butter knife or flat blade screwdriver, to pry around the edges of tow hitch cover and release the 15 clips that secure the cover to the rear fascia. Store the dust cover in a secure location.
- Insert the key into the locking cylinder on the hitch, and turn the cylinder so the top of the key is aligned with the “Open” position.
- Pull the locking cylinder out of
the adapter approximately 0.5 cm, and turn clockwise until the Unlock icon is
fixated at the top of the locking cylinder.CAUTIONBe careful when turning the locking cylinder. If it does not lock into the "Open" position, it automatically retracts into its original "Closed" position and can pinch your fingers.
- Firmly grasp the hitch from the
bottom and align with the corresponding cutouts in the hitch housing.NoteDo not grasp the locking cylinder because it needs to rotate freely.
- Push the hitch into the hitch housing until the locking cylinder quickly rotates counter-clockwise and automatically locks into the "Closed" position.
- Check to confirm that the hitch
is fully inserted into the housing by pulling on the hitch.NoteIf the hitch does not lock into the housing, it falls out when you pull down on the hitch.
- Turn the key so the arrows align with the Lock icon on the locking cylinder.
- Remove the key and store it in a
safe place (preferably inside the vehicle).NoteThe key can be removed only if the hitch is locked. This indicates a proper connection. Do not use the hitch if the key is not removed.NoteTesla recommends making a note of the key code. You need this key code if you lose the keys and need to order a replacement.
NoteThe trailer hitch is attached to the body of the vehicle with 6 bolts.
Disconnecting the Tow Hitch
After towing, remove the hitch:
- Insert the key and turn to align the top of the key with the Unlock icon.
- While firmly holding the bottom
of the hitch (to prevent it from dropping to the ground), pull the locking
cylinder out approximately 0.5 cm, and turn it clockwise until the Lock icon
shifts to the top. At this point, the locking cylinder is unlocked in the "Open"
position and the hitch drops out of the housing.WarningBe careful when turning the locking cylinder. If it does not lock into the "Open" position, it automatically retracts into its original "Closed" position and can pinch your fingers.
- Reinstall the dust cover on the hitch housing to prevent dirt from accumulating inside the housing by snapping in the push clips.
- Close the dust cover on the
hitch's locking cylinder and store the hitch in a secure location.NoteTo maintain the hitch, regularly grease its surface with non-resinous grease.