Jumpstarting the Low Voltage (Lead-Acid) Battery
Vehicles manufactured in Gigafactory Shanghai before approximately October 2021, and in the Fremont Factory before approximately December 2021, are equipped with a Lead-Acid low voltage battery.
If jump starting Model Y using another vehicle, refer to that vehicle manufacturer's instructions. The following instructions assume you are using an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter).
- Open the hood.
- Remove the maintenance panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
- If equipped with a HEPA filter, carefully fold the HEPA filter
gasket towards the front of the vehicle to gain access to the low
voltage battery.NoteSpace to access the low voltage battery is limited. Consider removing the push clips from the rear cowl to improve accessibility.
- Connect the low
voltage power supply's red positive (+)
cable to the red positive (+) terminal on the low
voltage battery.CAUTIONTo avoid damaging Model Y, do not allow the positive cable to contact other metal components, such as the battery tie-down bracket.
- Connect the low voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable to the black negative (-) terminal on the low voltage battery.
- Turn on the external power supply
(refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). Touch the touchscreen to wake it
up.NoteIt may take several minutes to receive enough power to wake up the touchscreen.
- When external low voltage power is no longer required, disconnect both cables from the terminals on the battery, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
- Reinstall the cabin intake trim panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
- Replace the maintenance panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
- Close the hood.
If replacing the Lead-Acid battery with one of a different model, you must change the gateway configuration on your vehicle's touchscreen. See the Service Manual for more information.