Attaching and Removing the Ball Mount (North America)
Attaching and Removing the Ball Mount
The Model Y towing package does not include a ball mount. You must purchase a ball mount suitable for the type of trailer you are towing. The Model Y hitch receiver supports a ball mount with a length of up to 8.5” (22 cm) and a rise of up to 0.75” (2 cm). Do not use any type of drop ball mount that does not meet these requirements.
To attach a ball mount:
- Use a thin object, such as a butter knife or flat blade screwdriver, to pry around the edges of tow hitch cover and release the 15 clips that secure the cover to the rear fascia. Store the dust cover in a secure location.
- If necessary, remove the cotter pin from the locking bolt and slide the locking bolt out of the hitch assembly.
- Slide the ball holder into the hitch assembly.
- Align the hole in the ball holder with the one in the hitch assembly.
- Slide the locking bolt through the hitch assembly/ball holder.
- Insert the cotter pin in the hole at the end of the locking bolt.
To remove a ball mount:
- Remove the cotter pin from the locking bolt and slide the locking bolt out of the ball holder/hitch assembly.
- Pull the ball holder out of the hitch assembly.
- Re-install the dust cover for the hitch housing and store the ball mount in a secure location.
Disconnecting the Tow Hitch
After towing, remove the hitch:
- Insert the key and turn to align the top of the key with the Unlock icon.
- While firmly holding the bottom
of the hitch (to prevent it from dropping to the ground), pull the locking
cylinder out approximately 0.5 cm, and turn it clockwise until the Lock icon
shifts to the top. At this point, the locking cylinder is unlocked in the "Open"
position and the hitch drops out of the housing.WarningBe careful when turning the locking cylinder. If it does not lock into the "Open" position, it automatically retracts into its original "Closed" position and can pinch your fingers.
- Reinstall the dust cover on the hitch housing to prevent dirt from accumulating inside the housing by snapping in the push clips.
- Close the dust cover on the
hitch's locking cylinder and store the hitch in a secure location.NoteTo maintain the hitch, regularly grease its surface with non-resinous grease.