Jump Starting the Low Voltage (Lead-Acid) Battery
Vehicles manufactured in Gigafactory Shanghai before approximately October 2021, and in the Fremont Factory before approximately December 2021, are equipped with a Lead-Acid low voltage battery.
If jump starting Model 3 using another vehicle, refer to that vehicle manufacturer's instructions. The following instructions assume you are using an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter).
- Open the hood (see Opening Hood with No Power).
- Remove the maintenance panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
- Remove the cabin intake trim panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
- Connect the low
voltage power supply's red positive (+)
cable to the red positive (+) terminal on the low
voltage battery.CAUTIONTo avoid damaging Model 3, do not allow the positive cable to contact other metal components, such as the battery tie-down bracket.
- Connect the low voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable to the black negative (-) terminal on the low voltage battery.
- Turn on the external power supply
(refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). Touch the touchscreen to wake it up.NoteIt may take several minutes to receive enough power to wake up the touchscreen.
- When external low voltage power is no longer required, disconnect both cables from the terminals on the battery, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
- Reinstall the cabin intake trim panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
- Replace the maintenance panel by placing it back in its original location and pressing down until it is secure.
- Close the hood.